Yes, let’s not Nano at all.
So tomorrow is November 1st, and thus the beginning of Nano. For the uninitiated, Nano is an online writing circle, which aims to push participants to write 50K in one month. With the best of intentions, I signed up, but you know what? I’m not even going to try…
Let’s count the reasons:
1. My brain is still broken. I’ve been working on my WIP for FIVE FUCKING MONTHS and it’s still a piece of shit. Literally five months – the document was created 29 May, and I only have 52K words, and it’s 52K of meaningless, incoherent, unfinished drivel. I’m not even kidding. Normally I would write about 50K a month, but I haven’t written anything else in this entire time and my budding career as a wannabe author is as good as over because, well… my brain is broken.
2. We’re building a new house, and mid-November we move into said new house. I haven’t started packing yet…
3. My son’s birthday is the same weekend we move.
3.1 My inlaws are staying for a week, possibly two, over the move period. Because it wasn’t stressful enough. Apparently. So that’s half of November gone right there… this period will now be referred to as the Seventh Circle of Hades.
4. I will have limited to no wifi for as long as Telstra decide to not reconnect it to the new house. Telstra are Australia’s biggest and most useless telco. Too bad if you didn’t need to know that. Now you do. If anyone from Telstra is reading this and would like to lodge a complaint, please hold…
5. I’ll be away for the weekend after the above mentioned move for my son’s tennis tournament.
6. I have a general release on November 22 (Breaking Point) and have a 12-day blog tour. Which bloody idiot volunteered me for that? Oh right. Yeah, that would me.
7. I have another pre-release (Clarity of Lines) in the first week of December which I am also doing a blog tour for. The fabulous Literary Nook is doing this one for me, because they are awesome.
8. My EDJ is killing me slowly. To the point where the thought of going to work every damn day makes me sick to the stomach, but we need the money because of the aforementioned building of our new house.
9. I haven’t had more than three hours sleep a night since god-only-knows-when. It’s affecting my memory and thought patterns, to the point where some days I can nod and communicate if the sentences are short and the words aren’t too long. Okay, so it’s not quite that bad, but some days if I leave the house with coffee and wearing pants I consider this a win.
10. Did I tell you that my brain is broken? Well it is. The good news is I no longer feel the urge to cry when I open my laptop anymore, and I can now manage writing a shopping list without making my eye twitch. The words are there, the characters in my head are still talking, but I seem to have lost the ability to write coherently.
Soooo, as you can see, Nano is just NOT gonna happen. And tbh, I’d be stupid to try. I’m stressed enough. At this rate, I doubt the entire month of December will happen either, and if anyone can put 2014 on hold, I’d be really grateful.
At this point in time, I can’t see the third book in the Turning Point series happening either. If it is ever published – and that’s a really big IF –it won’t be until late 2014. Or maybe not at all. I just truly don’t know.
Well, that’s all the
excuses reasons I’ve got for being a Nano-fail.